Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Spiral Sky 1

7x5 inches, watercolor on paper

$65. US shipping $7.50; email for international shipping

The dynamic spiral motifs you find representing clouds in Persian miniatures and Tibetan Thangka paintings have always fascinated and inspired me, especially the writhing and intricate designs in the miniatures of the famous Shahnama, or Books of Kings, made for Shah Tahmasp in the early years of the 16th Century. I love the energy, freedom and grace in the shapes these masters created, the obvious delight they took in their shaping, and the exquisite care they lavished on forming these devices, but mostly I love all the possibilities they point to that might come from completely abandoning naturalistic cloud images. The simple scheme of throwing some spiral shapes into an abstracted sky space and letting them twist and twine in infinite colors for all they're worth and for all they might lead one to invent or discover is just too rich a plan to resist. My first step here has been to let these spinning, soaring air-sprites have a 3D universe to play in. The next was to let some lights fall upon them… I don't know where we'll go, my spirals and I, but it's a trip I've always wanted to take, so why not now?


No comments: